I am now one week away from The Sundown Half Marathon.
Because I can't count, I started my twelve week training plan twelve weeks ago which means it finishes tomorrow. In order to keep week 13 to tapering and to get around the fact that I'll be diving in Malaysia this weekend, I went 'freestyle' this week and made up week 11 2.0.
![]() |
| Do you like the way I made a week '13'? |
I'm a bit free form usually with my training plans anyway which is to say that often, I just don't use one. Or, when I do, I often doctor it so much that it doesn't really resemble the training plan that I started out with. This time though, I've been pretty loyal - except for switching out one day per week of running for a swim or bike session. There are two reasons for this.
- Singapore weather is hideous. I know it's going to sound like I'm crazy but, it's about 31 degrees Celsius EVERY DAY and sunny pretty much EVERY DAY but, once a day the heavens open for an almighty downpour. The humidity we have here is likely to be mentioned a lot on this blog so I won't go into it now. All this, means that sometimes you want to swim. Or spin in an air conditioned room.
- I'm convinced that I won't get injured running 5 days a week, but may if I run 6. No explanation, 5 just feels more appropriate to my knees.
- Having now gotten to the end of my plan, I'm not convinced by it. The long runs just don't seem to have been long enough AND I don't feel like I've done enough runs at my half marathon pace. Yes, I know - the long slow run is the backbone of any plan - but does anyone else ever feel like they need to test themselves out a bit? Say, run 99% race distance at pace? That's probably just me. I actually snuck in 2 runs like that which were definitely not on the plan, but I'm glad I did.
- The race is at 00.30am. Otherwise known as the middle of the night, or if you enjoyed The BFG too, 'the witching hour'. No, I'm not really worried about witches (although you never know), but I am worried about the fact that, like a fool, I have done all my training except yesterday's run at 6am. I need to become a night owl. Fast.
Apart from that though, I'm actually REALLY excited.
On an other note, we're having medical checks at work across yesterday and today. Today is blood tests and yesterday was a ten point medical test covering fat levels, weight, blood pressure and so on. For some reason these things really freak me out. Even though I know that I run 6, I mean 5 days a week, I panic that my visceral fat will be off the charts or actually, I've been deluding myself and I actually weigh 100 kilos. Does anyone else do this? I think it's just the idea of it being a 'test' that sends me crazy.
Anyhoo, it was the worst medical test I've ever imagined let alone seen. It was as if we were being conscripted. Everyone lined up and went through a number of 'stations' to have various tests done while the results were called out for all to hear. No one wants their colleagues to know if their body fat is a bit on the high side. I thought this was bonkers, but I'm putting it down to cultural differences and me being over sensitive.

No comments:
Post a Comment